Meagan Griffin BFA: Essay

Milton Glaser once said “There are three responses to a piece of design – yes, no and WOW! Wow is the one to aim for.
A part of achieving the “wow” factor in a design is to consider every aspect of the work. Design is like piecing together a visual puzzle, without every piece you don't have the whole picture. Every single detail in a design is essential. Charles Eames said “The details are not the details. They make the design.” Throughout my studies in design, I have made an effort to train my eye to play close attention to the overall concept and composition as well as the details of my own designs and in other designs. This is not something that came naturally for me and I feel that I have come along way in my own work.
One of the main reasons I love design is the problem-solving aspect of it. You start with one idea with which problems occur. As a designer, it is important to figure out the best solutions for these problems. There is a fair amount of exploration and thinking that comes with this and for me it can become  frustrating. When you finally come up with the right solution for the problem, it is the best feeling. Good design does not come so easily and I enjoy these moments of problem solving.
As a design student here at Weber State, I've been given many projects to find solutions for. Sometimes I'm asked to use design theories from history as inspiration for the project or sometimes its using a completely new medium or software I am unfamiliar with. With each new project I've learned to start with the idea of experimentation. I try many possibilities before I come to the best solution. To me, it doesn't matter what the project is or what the medium is, the process is still the same.
As I consider my future as a designer, I'm glad I've learned not to settle. It is so important to make sure every detail is exactly the way it should be, that every part of the design is important to the end goal.  It doesn't matter the project, the problem solving process should always be consistent. I still have a long way to go in my own work and education but I hope that as my career continues I will always keep this process of learning and exploration.